Thursday 9 January 2014

Iron Sharpens Iron.

It’s always interesting when asked to introduce oneself. I seem to never know what to say or how to present myself in only a couple sentences. How do you portray your whole character in only a few sentences? That is the question. My name is Kristen. I am a fourth year Bachelor of Education student. I am studying psychology, sociology and of course, education. I have a big heart for teaching overseas and reaching children, and families from small villages that are extremely poor. I would love to share what I have learned and bring it somewhere that will take it for what it is, where things might seem less complicated per say. I often wonder if we just need to slow down, and take life as it is. Stop the busyness around us, trying to keep up with technology, new trends, and new ways of doing. But how do we just stop? We can’t. There are constant changes occurring everywhere. Focusing on the classroom specifically, how are we as teachers suppose to keep up with curriculum, new trends in classrooms, new teaching styles, and being our own self in the midst of all that? How do we develop a character that reflects our own being, yet are constantly bombarded with new ways? How am I ever supposed to be me as a teacher? The answer is not stopping, but slowing down. Realizing what matters in life, realizing what matters in the classroom to help our students learn to the best of their ability. Having an open mind to allow students teach me instead of me always “teaching”. This is profound, simplistic learning. Iron sharpening iron.  

            I chose to take technology in the classroom because I am very interested in how technology can enhance students learning. I understand that generation Z is going to involve a large amount of technology in the classroom. This is a frightening thought for me. Confidence regarding technology is at ground zero. I would love to learn more about how technology can be used successfully in the classroom, and gain confidence in using my resources. I read an article on using technology in the classroom, where teachers are anticipating students receive a new smart phone to help enhance their learning. This is to teach students about computational thinking and data science in high school. It states that smart phones offer individualized learning opportunities. More, importantly, it states that kids think that the devices are cool. Automatically, I am closed off to this notion. I am worried that the future generation is going to be incapable in having person to person interaction with other people. Open my eyes and mind to new ideas. 

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, I agree - generation Z is scary. I find a sad irony in the fact that many people think they communicate more because of contact with people across the world, but actually communicate less with people they spend their lives with. Teachers I think can, if they intentionally decide too, start closing this gap. We spend hours with these students, and our approach to technology - showing when it is helpful and when it is not, can play a large role in this generation's approach. Perhaps teachers can take the "cool" factor of technology and use it to our advantage, to promote student engagement and learning, and teach them to use it wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting the "Slow Revolution" - I can't wait for this. Slowing down, learning by doing, learning for a purpose, learning with each other. Thanks for the great reminder - to slow down. Psalm 46:10 - Be still and know that I am God. I find it difficult to be still.

    ReplyDelete